12 Tips for Getting to the Inbox
Here are 12 tips to keep you from getting caught by the spam filters:
- Produce quality content (this includes making sure your email code is clean, formatting is done correctly, links are used appropriately, and that the messages don't look and feel "spammy", etc.)
- Mail to opt-in only address (confirmed opt-in preferably). Always collect the timestamp, IP address, browser, and operating system.
- Write relevant and ENGAGING subject lines. Split test different subject lines, but never be misleading.
- Personalize your email. In addition to addressing subscribers by first name, consider collecting additional information throughout the sales cycle and including it when it makes sense.
- Use a real reply to address. In other words, don't use do-not-reply@. This should go to a real mailbox that is actively monitored.
- Use consistency with regard to frequency. Finding the right frequency for your email program requires testing, but consistency is key.
- Never use a free email address as your "from" address such as firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. This is a big red flag and almost guarantees problems, in the short and long term.
- Avoid spam traps including pristine traps and recycled traps.
- Check blacklists BEFORE sending your email. This includes checking your sending IP address as well as any and all domains in your messages.
- Include a text version of your email. Even though most subscribers have HTML enabled, there are still a handful of your subscribers that will get your messages in plain text.
- Keep your list engaged (dump people that are no longer opening your messages or clicking your links. This will keep you of the spam folder for other subscribers that ARE interested).
- Send to your most engaged subscribers first when sending a campaign.
BONUS Tip: Don't over send based on your resources. (IPs, domain, etc.)
For over a decade Heather Seitz used email marketing to build successful companies and had to solve the biggest barrier to consistent profitability: deliverability. Today she is the Co-Founder and CEO of Email Delivered.
To know the 12 tips for getting to the inbox, visit http://www.emaildelivered.com/tips-for-getting-to-the-inbox/. Remember to sign up for the FREE Email Delivered Pulse newsletter for articles, tips, and recommended resources for email marketers.
How to Get Your Emails to the Inbox
If you want to get more of your emails to the inbox, you need to know the secrets that the Email Service Providers AREN’T willing to tell you. For a limited time, I’m sharing some select tips that top Internet Marketers know... for FREE.
Here’s what you’ll get right now...
- The How to Guide for getting your emails back to the inbox.
- How to find (and improve) your email “reputation” (how the ISPs see you).
- 5 Email KILLERS that your email service provider is purposely hiding from you.