8 Effective Email Marketing Strategies Backed by Science
Here are email marketing strategies backed by science:
1. Personalize your email, but test NOT using the recipient’s name. There is a time and place for personalization with the first name, but be careful to use this "too early" in the "relationship"!
2. Watch subject line length. According to Adestra, which tracked over 900 million emails for its report, there was no increase in open rates or click throughs when subject lines were 60-70 characters.
3. Sending emails from 9am to 5pm is not generally the best time to send your emails. While you should always TEST, research from Experian has shown that emails sent between 8:00PM and midnight performed better overall.
4. "Free" still wins! People like freebies in exchange for the optin. The bar has just been raised and the content has to be good quality and high value.
5. Make sure your emails are mobile friendly. More and more people are opening emails on their mobile devices, so be sure to design for the mobile experience.
6. Email beats social media... STILL! There are a lot of statistics on how email performs against social media. Ultimately, email always beats social media on performance and ROI.
7. Sending emails on Saturdays and Sundays. We have done this for years in our publishing business and Sundays were always one of our highest converting days. Certainly test this as it may not apply in all markets (i.e. many B2B scenarios).
8. Re-engagement campaigns work. I won't spend much time on this because we talk about re-engagement fairly frequently. Just know that re-engagement is not only important for the relationship with your list, but also for your deliverability and inbox placement with the ISPs.
For over a decade Heather Seitz used email marketing to build successful companies and had to solve the biggest barrier to consistent profitability: email deliverability. Today she is the Co-Founder and CEO of Email Delivered.
For more information on effective email marketing strategies, visit http://www.emaildelivered.com/email-marketing-strategies. Remember to sign up for the FREE Email Delivered Pulse newsletter for articles, tips, and recommended resources for email marketers.
How to Get Your Emails to the Inbox
If you want to get more of your emails to the inbox, you need to know the secrets that the Email Service Providers AREN’T willing to tell you. For a limited time, I’m sharing some select tips that top Internet Marketers know... for FREE.
Here’s what you’ll get right now...
- The How to Guide for getting your emails back to the inbox.
- How to find (and improve) your email “reputation” (how the ISPs see you).
- 5 Email KILLERS that your email service provider is purposely hiding from you.