Canada’s Anti Spam Law (CASL)
Canada's Anti Spam Law (CASL) went into effect on July 1st. (Incidentally, this is "Canada Day"!)
This law applies to anyone that is mailing to recipients in Canada, whether or not you are based in Canada.
A few of the key "must know" items include:
* You must contain identifying information in all of your messages.
* You must include an unsubscribe mechanism in every message that goes out.
* You must have expressed "consent" to contact the recipient (it's a good idea to capture the time, date, IP address, and reason for the opt-in should you need this information for verification or proof in the future).
* Penalties are steep! If you fail to comply with the CASL, you could be looking at some hefty fines. Individuals could be fined up to $1M and if you are corporation, you could be fined up to $10M. It also states that individuals will have the right to sue for $200 per incident starting in 2017.
NOTE: The law is phasing in over a 3 year period to make the transition a bit easier to seek "express consent" from recipients.
Here's a link to a well done PDF resource from Dale & Lessmann,LLP (Canadian Legal Counsel) that I would recommend downloading and reviewing prior to July 1 so you can get up to speed AND make sure that your email program is in compliance prior to July 1.
Author: Heather Seitz
Attention Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, and Marketers: You may republish or syndicate this article without any charge. The only thing I ask is that you keep the newsletter article or blog post exactly as it was written and formatted, with no changes. You must also include full publication attribution and back links as indicated. This information has been provided by http://www.EmailDelivered.com and written by Heather Seitz.
For over a decade Heather Seitz used email marketing to build successful companies and had to solve the biggest barrier to consistent profitability: deliverability. Today she is the Co-Founder and CEO of Email Delivered.
For more information on email content best practices and deliverability, click here http://www.EmailDelivered.com/blog. Remember to sign up for the FREE Email Delivered Pulse newsletter for articles, tips, and recommended resources for email marketers.
How to Get Your Emails to the Inbox
If you want to get more of your emails to the inbox, you need to know the secrets that the Email Service Providers AREN’T willing to tell you. For a limited time, I’m sharing some select tips that top Internet Marketers know... for FREE.
Here’s what you’ll get right now...
- The How to Guide for getting your emails back to the inbox.
- How to find (and improve) your email “reputation” (how the ISPs see you).
- 5 Email KILLERS that your email service provider is purposely hiding from you.