We've covered this in the past, but wanted to quickly revisit it to remind you of the requirements...
1. Never use false or misleading header information.
This goes for the from address, from name, etc. In a nutshell, don't try and trick someone by masking who the message is from.
2. Don't use deceptive subject lines.
Creative subject lines are fine, but trying to "trick" subscribers into opening is not only a can spam violation, but is also a guarantee for spam complaints.
3. Identify the message as an advertisement.
4. Include your mailing address.
We see more and more people trying to skip this part, but keep in mind a single can-spam violation can result in $17,000 fine PER incident. So add your mailing address to your footer and be sure to include it at all times.
5. Include a clear opt-out (Do not skip the unsubscribe link. In fact, consider adding both an unsubscribe link AND a manage subscription link).
TIP: When someone DOES opt-out, DO NOT send them an opt-out confirmation. This only frustrates them more and leads to increased spam complaints.
6. Honor opt-out requests promptly.
While the "law" gives you several days, it's best to remove people immediately.
7. Monitor what affiliates are doing on your behalf.
Affiliates can cause damage to your reputation and it's your responsibility to make sure you know what's going on.
For over a decade Heather Seitz used email marketing to build successful companies and had to solve the biggest barrier to consistent profitability: deliverability. Today she is the Co-Founder and CEO of Email Delivered.
To read the article on Can-Spam Review, visit http://www.emaildelivered.com/can-spam-review/. Remember to sign up for the FREE Email Delivered Pulse newsletter for articles, tips, and recommended resources for email marketers.
How to Get Your Emails to the Inbox
If you want to get more of your emails to the inbox, you need to know the secrets that the Email Service Providers AREN’T willing to tell you. For a limited time, I’m sharing some select tips that top Internet Marketers know... for FREE.
Here’s what you’ll get right now...
- The How to Guide for getting your emails back to the inbox.
- How to find (and improve) your email “reputation” (how the ISPs see you).
- 5 Email KILLERS that your email service provider is purposely hiding from you.